Welcome to S. Michael’s on this second Sunday of Advent. It is good to be here.
This morning, as we light the second Advent candle, the candle for peace, our attention is drawn again to the Advent wreath, this year constructed from specific and significant dried laurel and bay leaves, with the addition of doves. The dove is a special symbol in the New Testament, reminding us of the sacrifices in the Temple, and of the Holy Spirit descending like a dove at the baptism of Jesus. The doves on our wreath were the inspiration of John Atkinson, who still has a real interest in our parish, and we are told these doves flew in from the USA. After the service, come up and admire the wreath if you can’t see the doves clearly from where you are.
We hope not to have to look too far as we advertise for a part-time Child and Youth Ministry Worker for our parish and school. At the last Vestry meeting we were made aware of an extra source of funding, offered by Bishop Victoria for this purpose, and we were happy to accept it. This has enabled us to widen the scope of the role. As a parish, we will still be required to make our contribution as previously agreed by Vestry. If any parishioner would like to assist with funding for this important work we would be very thankful. Please contact Fr Andrew or the Wardens directly.
Currently we are ready to offer a position of 20–25 hours each week for the full 52 weeks of the year, somewhat expanded from our original thinking. We have thought hard about the type of tasks that may be undertaken and the background and experience of the person who might be able to fill this position.
In that respect, it remains paramount that the person must be theologically articulate, able to relate to younger age groups, and eager to grow the number of children and young people at services and in almost every aspect of the life of the school and parish.
We expect to advertise in the very near future, and look forward to having our Child and Youth Ministry Worker ready to start at the beginning of the 2016 school year.
Please pray for all involved.
Michael Graveston, Vicar’s Warden
Claire Preston, People’s Warden
- Donations for Christmas Flowers: please give to Jill Woodside or leave in the parish office during the week.
- Verger: expressions of interest are invited from people willing to act as verger for weddings and funerals. Please speak to Fr Andrew.
- Sales Table: Sundays after Mass. Details Anne Ladd (981 5012).
- Christmas Raffle: tickets today from Anne Ladd or from the office during the week—$2 each or 3 for $5. Donations still welcome for prizes.
- School Carol Service: today at 5:00 pm.
- Taizé: Ginny Comery’s daughter Liz will be coming to play the flute at tonight’s service. All welcome.
- Because of the funeral tomorrow there will not be a Mass at 10:00 am.
- The Needlework Group: final meeting for the year tomorrow, DVD evening from 7:00 pm at Joy Coulter’s. Details Joy (342 9013).
- Vege Co-op: orders and deliveries on Wednesdays. Details Kathryn Starky.
- Michael’s School: Thursday 8:40 am final School Mass, 6:00 pm prizegiving at Christ’s College. On Friday the school closes at 12 noon.
- Saturday Breakfast: 12 December, 9:45 am in the parish lounge. Details Anne Ladd (981 5012).
- City Mission Carol Service: 16 December 7:30 pm at the Cathedral.
- Book Swap: Sundays in the hall and weekdays in the lounge. Koha to parish.
- Inasmuch Basket: please continue to support the City Mission every week with your gifts of groceries and other household items.