Welcome to S. Michael’s today.
Our readings at Mass lead us to reflect on the ministry of Jesus and its cost. He is facing rejection in his own town, and he begins to teach and authorise the twelve as he equips them for their mission. These things help us to reflect on the ups and downs of our own Christian journey as we walk the way of the cross alongside our Lord.
I am delighted to tell you that Leonie Ward, who is the mother of Deryk Ward, has very kindly donated her Bösendorfer grand piano to S. Michael’s. Along with Deryk and Keryn, who used to sing in our choir but now live in Sydney, Leonie and Jack in Tauranga have been wonderful supporters of S. Michael’s. All four are part of our extended family. We are extremely grateful to Leonie and Jack for thinking of us as they move house. We have enjoyed having Christopher Marshall’s beautiful piano on loan to the church in recent years and this piano will be of commensurate quality, though slightly smaller.
At the AGM we discussed ways of improving the appearance of the school and parish site along the Durham Street boundary and I would like to give the following update on progress:
• Currently the school is looking at covering the fencing around the Old Stone Building with a wrap. This solution will obviate the need to shift any masonry.
• The containers have to stay for safety’s sake, but the school is looking at repainting and putting designs on them.
• The PTFA has raised $30,000 for replacing all the fencing along the Oxford Terrace/Durham Street boundary, including the corrugated iron and the hedge. The Vestry will be asked to consider concept plans at its July meeting. It is acknowledged that final roading plans will need to be taken into account.
Yours in Christ,
Fr Andrew Starky
• Christchurch City Mission: many families and individuals are struggling to cope in winter conditions. The City Mission helps as many people as possible and is very grateful for our donations of food and household items. Please continue to give generously. Clothing and larger items may be delivered directly to 276 Hereford St.
• S. Michael’s School is now on holiday until 20 July.
• Sales Table: in the hall after Mass. Anne would still be very grateful to hear from anyone who could assist as needed. Details Anne Ladd (981 5012).
• There is a cup of tea or coffee after the evening service each Sunday.
• The Bible Study Group meets tomorrow, 7:15 pm in the school staffroom. Details Peter Oakley (960 0974).
• The Needlework Group meets on Tuesday, 7:15 pm in the parish lounge. Details Ros Calvert (322 6078).
• Vege Co-op: orders and deliveries on Wednesdays.
• Saturday Breakfast: 11 July, 9:45 am in the parish lounge. Details Anne Ladd.
• Choir of Christ’s College, Cambridge: concert at the Cathedral 14 July at 7:00 pm. Tickets available at the door.
• Residential Retreat A New Heart: Wellington 17–26 July. Cost $817. Details from email@example.com or phone 04 383 7769.
• Book Swap/Donate/Share with a Friend/Give as a gift: Modern books that you have enjoyed. Fundraising koha to Anne at the sales table. Books available in parish lounge during the week and in the hall on Sundays.
• Box lots of books are welcome at any S. Christopher’s Dove Book Shop.