Alleluia, Christ is risen! He is risen indeed, alleluia!
Welcome to S. Michael’s today as we continue celebrating the risen life of Christ. During the great fifty days of Easter the focus of our Gospel readings shifts from its initial gaze upon the appearances of Jesus following his resurrection to the way his risen life is experienced in his body following his ascension and up to the present time. Last week we heard about Jesus the Good Shepherd, and we heard of the costliness of his relationship with the sheep in the fold and how his risen life is taken up among them. Today and next Sunday we dwell on Jesus the True Vine and our place and purpose as fruitful branches on the vine.
In these weeks we can reflect on the risen life of Christ within the Church and how he feeds us with the sacrament of the Holy Eucharist. We can also consider the precious unity of the Church in preparation for the Week of Prayer for Christian Unity, which takes place between Ascension and Pentecost.
Today following Mass we will hold the Annual General Meeting of the Parish. We will have read the reports that have been prepared, and the meeting is an opportunity to reflect on the life of our parish as part of the Church. The AGM is an important opportunity for parishioners to give voice to affirmations and concerns about the life of the Church, all for the purpose of building the body of Christ in love. The meeting then elects the People’s Warden, the Synodspeople and a new Vestry, who will govern the parish for the next year, having heard the voice of the meeting and of course continuing to listen to feedback from parishioners.
Following the Mass it will help the meeting to get started promptly if parishioners can please make their way to the hall in good time. The Vicar will try and set a good example!
Yours in Christ,
Fr Andrew Starky
• Cecilian Singers Concert: today 2:30 pm at Heaton Intermediate, $15.
• There is a cup of tea or coffee after the evening service each Sunday.
• The Meditation Group meets tomorrow at 5:15 pm in the parish lounge. Details Kathryn Starky (385 0197) or Margaret Maclagan (359 9215).
• The Bible Study Group meets tomorrow, 7:15 pm in the school staffroom. Details Peter Oakley (960 0974).
• School Open Day: Tuesday 8:00 am–4:00 pm.
• The Needlework Group meets on Tuesday, 7:15 pm in the parish lounge.
Details Ros Calvert (322 6078).
• Vege Co-op: orders and deliveries on Wednesdays. Details Kathryn Starky.
• The Canterbury Shakespeare Society meets on Thursday, 7:30 pm in the parish lounge. Details John De la Bere (981 7582).
• Saturday Breakfast: 9 May, 9:45 am in the parish lounge. Details Anne Ladd (981 5012).
• Lunch at Regatta on Avon: next Sunday 12:15 pm. Details Kathryn Starky.
• The Rolleston Home Group meets next on 13 May.
• Week of Prayer for Christian Unity—Annual Ecumenical Service: 20 May. 7:00 pm at the Transitional Cathedral. There will be a cup of tea or coffee afterwards.
• Book Swap/Donate/Share with a Friend/Give as a gift: Modern books that you have enjoyed. Fundraising koha to Anne at the sales table. Books do not need to be returned after reading. Available in parish lounge during the week, in the hall on Sundays.
• Box lots of books are welcome at any S. Christopher’s Dove Book Shop.
• Inasmuch basket: please continue to support the City Mission with your gifts of groceries and other household items.