Alleluia, Christ is risen! He is risen indeed, alleluia!
Welcome to S. Michael’s as we celebrate Pentecost, the coming of the Holy Spirit. Pentecost is a joyful feast where we recall the very essence of the Church is created as the Spirit is poured out on all present. One thing that always stands out to me at Pentecost is the transformation in the disciples before and after, particularly exemplified in Peter. During their time as disciples of Jesus up to his death on the cross, they are often portrayed in the Gospels as timid, and struggling to get the idea of who Jesus was and what he came to do. After Pentecost they preach boldly and clearly about Jesus. If the Ascension reminds us that Christ is present everywhere, Pentecost declares that we are empowered to continue his mission in the world with the gifts we have been given.
With the Trumpet today you will find some information about joining in with the mission of this church. Many of you are already contributing your time and talents very generously and you may want to adjust what you do, while others may feel a call to embark on something new. As I mentioned last week following our Strategic Planning Day, the rebuilt part of the central city is going to be very much located around S. Michael’s, at least to begin with and for the medium term. This provides us with some of the best opportunities in the history of this church.
Yours in the Spirit,
Fr Andrew Starky
• Sales Table: in the hall after Mass today. Details Anne Ladd (981 5012).
• There is a cup of tea or coffee after the evening service each Sunday.
• Vege Co-op: orders and deliveries on Wednesdays. Details Kathryn Starky.
• The Chamber Choir will sing at Evensong next Sunday.
• The Bible Study Group meets next on 1 June, 7:15 pm in the school staffroom.
Details Peter Oakley (960 0974).
• The Needlework Group: details Ros Calvert (322 6078).
• Corpus Christi: Mass at 7:00 pm on 4 June. The people of S. Luke’s will be our guests. Please bring finger food for supper.
• Diocesan Council for World Mission: Go tell the Gospel, Graeme Mitchell. Monday 8 June, 10:15 am—12:30 pm, S. Augustine’s, Cashmere.
• Book Swap/Donate/Share with a Friend/Give as a gift:
Modern books that you have enjoyed. Fundraising koha to Anne at the sales table. Books do not need to be returned after reading. Available in parish lounge during the week, in the hall on Sundays.
• Box lots of books are welcome at any S. Christopher’s Dove Book Shop.
• Inasmuch basket: please continue to support the City Mission with your gifts of groceries and other household items.