Welcome to S. Michael’s on this Feast of Pentecost. Today we celebrate the coming of the Holy Spirit to the disciples. As we gather, we pray that the Holy Spirit may kindle God’s love in us also.
I write this letter from Napier where the General Synod/Te Hinota Whanui is in session. We are meeting in a tent very close to the seashore. It makes me think of the tent of meeting where Moses would go in and speak with God. We have prayed, celebrated the Mass, studied the Bible, and there has been much talk! Today I have had the privilege of moving the motion from our diocese that responding to climate change become a priority for our Church in the decade of mission. The motion was well received and speakers from many parts of our Church added their support. Thank you for your prayers and support while I have been at General Synod.
Today we come, not into a tent, but into this beautiful church to meet with God. During this Mass we offer the opportunity for anointing of your hands. This is a poignant action which recognises the gifts of the Holy Spirit within each of us, given for the common good at our baptism. Our prayer is that God may stir up his grace in us, so that we may serve his purposes in the world with renewed joy.
Yours in the Spirit
Fr Andrew Starky
- Keeping the church open: is anyone available to help on Thursdays? At present the church is locked all afternoon from midday. If you can offer even a couple of hours please speak to Louise.
- Donation receipts are now available at the back of the church.
- Sales Table: Sundays in the hall after Mass. Details Anne Ladd (981 5012).
- Book Swap: Sundays in the hall and weekdays in the lounge. Koha to parish.
- Guest Speaker: all parishioners are invited to a presentation by Naomi Anderson (MA, Pastoral Leadership) on Growing in God’s Grace. Today, 11:45 am in the hall. Light lunch will be provided by the Women’s Fellowship.
- You are invited to a cup of tea or coffee after the evening service each Sunday.
- Bible Study Group meets tomorrow at 7:15 pm in the school staff room. Details Peter Oakley (960 0974).
- Michael’s Women’s Fellowship meets on Tuesday after the 10:00 am Mass. Margaret Maclagan will speak about her recently published book Talking Baby. Kevin Boyce Room in the school. All welcome. Details Pat Evans (358 0127).
- Meditation Group meets on Tuesday at 5:15 pm in the parish lounge. Details Margaret Maclagan (359 9215) or Kathryn Starky (385 0197).
- Vege Co-op: orders and deliveries on Wednesdays. Details Kathryn Starky.
- Luke’s in the City—Spirited Conversations: Susan Krumdieck will discuss Life in the 21st Century, with reference to fossil fuels and urban planning. Thursday 6:00 pm at Your Place Café & Bar, 254 High Street. Cost $10. Park on Hereford St or in the ReStart carpark.
- World Vision: Chelsea Yeoman, a 2016 Youth Ambassador for World Vision, will speak about her experiences in Syria and the refugee crisis there. Friday 3:50 pm in the parish lounge, all are welcome.
- Needlework Group meets monthly. Details Ros Calvert (322 6078).
- Inasmuch basket: please continue to support the City Mission with your gifts.