Alleluia! Christ is risen! He is risen indeed! Alleluia!
Welcome to S. Michael’s as we continue to celebrate the risen life of our Lord in these great fifty days of Easter. Today we continue the theme of drawing close to our risen Lord by abiding with him in love. I am delighted, too, to welcome the Young Voices and their families with us again this morning.
Thank you to all who attended last Sunday’s Annual General Meeting. I thought it was a very positive meeting and had a buoyant mood about it. Our conversations were wide-ranging, from the rebuilding city of which we are a part, to the school’s life and future and the financial affairs of the parish, to name just a few. We certainly live in times of great opportunity and challenge.
Today in the Mass we will commission the new Vestry as it takes up its task for the next twelve months. At the meeting I paid tribute to and thanked Robert Maclagan for seven years of sterling service as Vicar’s Warden in the parish and I announced that Michael Graveston will be the new Vicar’s Warden. Also Peter Daniels and Shirley Richards did not seek re-election to the Vestry, and we thanked them for their work. We gladly welcomed Gloria Moyle and Gerald Ginther as new members of Vestry. I spoke in the meeting about how the Trust and Vestry will spend the day together next Saturday. The purpose of the day is to begin to seek a direction for the parish in the light of all the changes that have arisen through the earthquakes and the rebuild going on around us. Please pray for us on this day, and we will be reporting to you what comes out of it.
Next week I will be away at Clergy Conference until Thursday. Bishop Victoria has asked me to chair the conference this year as she has to be away, and I ask for your prayers as I do that.
As usual we are invited to join S. Luke’s to celebrate Ascension Day on Thursday. The Mass begins at 6:00pm at the Knox Centre, on the corner of Victoria St and Bealey Avenue. I hope we will support this well as their new Vicar, the Revd Jenny Wilkens, welcomes us for the first time.
Yours in the risen Christ,
Fr Andrew Starky
• Keeping the church open: volunteers are needed to cover absences in June.
Please speak to Robert Maclagan (359 9215).
• Sales Table: if you have items to donate please speak to Anne Ladd (981 5012).
• Lunch at Regatta on Avon: today at 12:15 pm. Details Kathryn Starky.
• There is a cup of tea or coffee after the evening service each Sunday.
• The Rolleston Home Group meets on Wednesday, 11:00 am at 111 Tennyson St,
Rolleston. Details Jenny Daniels (347 7829).
• Vege Co-op: orders and deliveries on Wednesdays. Details Kathryn Starky.
• The Bible Study Group meets next on 18 May, 7:15 pm in the school staffroom.
Details Peter Oakley (960 0974).
• The Needlework Group: details Ros Calvert (322 6078).
• Week of Prayer for Christian Unity—Annual Ecumenical Service: 20 May.
7:00 pm at the Transitional Cathedral. There will be a cup of tea or coffee afterwards.
• Book Swap/Donate/Share with a Friend/Give as a gift:
Modern books that you have enjoyed. Fundraising koha to Anne at the sales table. Books do not need to be returned after reading. Available in parish lounge during the week, in the hall on Sundays.
• Box lots of books are welcome at any S. Christopher’s Dove Book Shop.
• Inasmuch basket: please continue to support the City Mission with your gifts of groceries and other household items.