“What do you need in order to have church?”
This is the opening sentence of a book that I am reading by Gordon W. Lathrop, titled Holy People: A Liturgical Ecclesiology. How would you answer that question? Keep pondering and praying that question as you journey through mass this morning. It maybe that your answer is in the concrete; the windows, pews, … It may be in the theology or the traditions/characteristics; the music or the mystery or ………………?? It is important to know and understand your own mind in light of the conversations that are going to be had over the next few weeks as you, the community of St. Michael and All Angels, discern the future leadership.
As the Venerable Bede wrote:
“Lord God, open my heart and illuminate it with the grace of your Holy Spirit.
By this grace may I always seek to do what is pleasing to you;
direct my thought and feelings so that I may at last come to the unending joys of heaven.
Thus on earth may I keep your commandments,
and so be worthy of your everlasting reward. Amen”
The Reverend Anne Price
- Deadline for Trumpet next week only: material required by noon on Wednesday
- S. Michael’s School is now on holiday until 24 July.
- Communion at Three: today. All welcome.
- Health & Safety Committee: Tuesday in the lounge at 5:00 pm.
- Outreach Committee: Tuesday in the lounge at 7:30 pm
- Meditation Group: Wednesdays 12:00–12:30 pm in the Pilgrims’ Chapel. Details Margaret Maclagan (359 921).
- Parish Trust: Wednesday 5:15 pm in the lounge.
- For the next three months Taizé Evening Service will be replaced by Compline.
- Refugees Welcome: talk by Murdoch Stephens on refugees and community involvement, and the implications on how we vote in the next general election. 17 July 6:00 pm at the WEA, see www.doingourbit.co.nz for details.
- Bible Study Group meets next on 31 July, 7:15 pm in the school staffroom. Details Peter Oakley (960 0974).
- Needlework Group meets monthly. Details Ros Calvert (322 6078).
- Theology House: for details of new courses phone 341 3399.
- Fundraiser: jars of marmalade are available in the parish lounge.
- Book Swap: on bookshelves in the lounge. Koha to parish.
- Inasmuch basket: please continue to support the City Mission with your gifts of groceries and other household items.