I have just locked myself out of the house. One of those moments of total and utter disbelief and a ‘how could I have been so stupid’ moments. We all know them and the frustration of them. It wouldn’t have been so bad, if I didn’t have somewhere to be in half an hour! So instead of majorly panicking I am sitting here writing my letter for the trumpet. I am also re-reading last week’s prayer and trying to calm my breathing as I read and re-read these lines.
‘tranquil haven of all storm-tossed souls. Show us the course in which we should go.’
I am tempted to run and find the nearest person who has a key, but that would only increase the anxiety. I could just go straight there, but the room would not be open. Or, as I am doing, catch up with a job that must be done. So my storm tossed soul has found a tranquil haven and the course that I should go.
I am sitting on my porch in the sunshine on a lovely big comfortable, inviting chair, that is so rarely used, (except for a neighbourhood cat who sleeps on it when Lily, our dog, isn’t looking). I can hear the sounds of the thrush scrabbling around under the camellias, the wind in the trees and the voices of neighbours talking as they get into their cars. Much better for the soul. A God given moment!
Grant to us, Lord, we beseech thee,
the spirit to thing and do always such things as be rightful, that we,
who cannot do anything that is good without thee,
may by thee be enabled to live according to thy will; through Jesus Christ.
- Time of weekday Masses: these are now at 12:35 pm instead of 10:00 am (Saturday remains unchanged at 9:00 am).
- Bible Study Group meets tomorrow, 7:15 pm in the school staffroom. Details Peter Oakley (960 0974).
- Women’s Fellowship meets Tuesday, 10:30 am (note time) in the parish lounge. Rose and photograph competitions. Last meeting for the year, all welcome. Please see your emails for details or speak to Pat Evans (358 0127).
- Communion at Three: next Sunday. All welcome.
- Concert by the Chamber Choir: next Sunday at 5:30 pm in the church. Evensong will follow at 7:00 pm.
- Quiet Day at CSN: 2 December 10:30 am–2:00 pm, shared lunch. Conducted by Lawrence Kimberley.
- Needlework Group meets monthly. Details Ros Calvert (322 6078).
- Fundraiser: jars of lemon curd are available in the parish lounge.
- Book Swap: on bookshelves in the lounge. Koha to parish.
- Recycling Electronic Equipment: please put unwanted phones etc in the box at the back of the church or take to the parish office. Details Jenny Daniels (347 7629).
- Current Mission Opportunities: details on the notice-board outside the office. There are also various pamphlets about alternative Christmas gifts, such as buying a goat for a family in need.
- Inasmuch basket: please continue to support the City Mission with your gifts of groceries and other household items.