With the tumultuous couple of weeks that have just passed Charlie and I took a day off. The only way to take a day off is to leave the house and change the scenery completely. We went over to Banks Peninsula. I needed to feel the wind in my face and put the world back in to perspective. I have found that the beaches at the end of the bays on the peninsula are wonderful for calming my soul. They turn my heart back to God in creation and remind me of the depth and power of such love.
This prayer was written by Basil the Great (330-379). He was educated at Athens in the best of Greek and Christian learning, but went to settle as a hermit on the banks of the river Iris. Amongst many other things, Basil created a form of monasticism in which a group of brothers live around a local church and are engaged in care for their neighbours as well as the life of prayer. This is the form that monasticism has followed ever since in the Eastern Church.
O Lord our God, teach us, we pray, to ask you in the right way for the right blessings. Steer the vessel of our life towards yourself, the tranquil haven of all storm-tossed souls. Show us the course in which we should go. Renew a willing spirit within us. Let your Spirit curb our wayward senses, and guide and enable us towards that which is our true good, to keep your laws, and in all we do to rejoice always in your glorious and gladdening presence. For yours is the glory and praise from all your saints, for ever and ever. Amen.
The Reverend Anne Price
- New time for weekday Masses: these are now at 12:35 pm instead of 10:00 am (Saturday remains unchanged at 9:00 am).
- Special Parish Meeting: today at 11:45 am to discuss the planning and financing of the new vicarage on our site.
- Communion at Three: today. All welcome.
- As Friday is Show Day the Trumpet will go to press a day earlier this week. Please get your material in by early Wednesday morning.
- Stories from the Streets: panel discussion with Matthew Mark, Jill Hawkey, Lucy D’Aeth and Fiona Clapham Howard. Wednesday 6:00–8:00 pm at The Exchange, 376 Wilsons Rd. Details on poster.
- Bible Study Group meets next on 20 November, 7:15 pm in the school staffroom. Details Peter Oakley (960 0974).
- Concert by the Chamber Choir: 26 November at 5:30 pm in the church. Evensong will follow at 7:00 pm.
- Quiet Day at CSN: 2 December 10:30 am–2:00 pm, shared lunch. Conducted by Lawrence Kimberley.
- Needlework Group meets monthly. Details Ros Calvert (322 6078).
- Fundraiser: jars of lemon curd are available in the parish lounge.
- Book Swap: on bookshelves in the lounge. Koha to parish.
- Recycling Electronic Equipment: please put unwanted phones etc in the box at the back of the church or take to the parish office. Details Jenny Daniels (347 7629).
- Current Mission Opportunities: details on the notice-board outside the office. There are also various pamphlets about alternative Christmas gifts, such as buying a goat for a family in need.
- Inasmuch basket: please continue to support the City Mission with your gifts of groceries and other household items.