I am going to begin with a prayer today written by Thomas Arnold (1795-1842). He was appointed the headmaster of Rugby School in 1828, and aimed to make it an example to other public schools in providing a truly Christian education for the sons of the new middle classes. He saw no difference between the sacred and the secular, and published Principles of Church Reform and several volumes of sermons.
Let thy blessing, O Lord,
rest upon all who work in education.
Teach them to seek after truth, and enable them to attain it;
but grant that as they increase in the knowledge of earthly things,
they may grow in the knowledge of thee, whom to know is life eternal;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen
Being the Chaplain to two church schools, this prayer is one that fulfils my job description. I am extraordinarily fortunate to be involved with the Spiritual growth and faith development of so many youngsters and their families. I love being asked the tough questions that they are keen to challenge me with; like where was God before the world was created? The Adam and Eve questions are fun when they think they are really pushing some boundaries, there always seems to be a glimmer or a glint in the eye when they know the answer for themselves but just like the challenge. Of course, there are always the BUT questions and they are often followed by a pause, that shall I or shan’t I moment. Working with inquisitive children is such a joy.
The Reverend Anne Price
- Vestry meets on Tuesday, beginning with Mass at 7:00 pm.
- Meditation Group: Wednesdays 12:00–12:30 pm in the Pilgrims’ Chapel. Details Margaret Maclagan (359 9215).
- Communion at Three: next Sunday. All welcome.
- Bible Study Group meets next on 30 October, 7:15 pm in the school staffroom. Details Peter Oakley (960 0974).
- Commemorating the Reformation—From conflict to communion: Interdenominational service 31 October, 7:00 pm at Knox Church.
- Needlework Group meets monthly. Details Ros Calvert (322 6078).
- Fundraiser: jars of marmalade and lemon curd are available in the parish lounge.
- Book Swap: on bookshelves in the lounge. Koha to parish.
- Recycling Electronic Equipment: please put unwanted phones etc in the box at the back of the church or take to the parish office. Details Jenny Daniels (347 7629).
- Inasmuch basket: please continue to support the City Mission with your gifts of groceries and other household items.