Christ is risen, alleluia! He is risen indeed, alleluia!
Welcome to S. Michael’s this week, I wish you all a joyful Pentecost as we celebrate the outpouring of God’s Spirit upon the first disciples and the Church. This feastmarks the culmination of our long Easter season, and we welcome Dean Lawrence Kimberley as our Presiding Priest and Preacher at Mass today.
It is one of the strengths of S. Michael’s that our community, our church, our school, and our Anglo-Catholic heritage, connects and brings together so many people across the years and across the map. I am fascinated by the interweaving stories of lives touched by their time at S. Michael’s. It is consistently amusing to me that, in my other role as Assistant Curate at The Transitional Cathedral, I am serving under Dean Lawrence, who was Curate of S. Michael’s when I went to school and was baptised
here. Baptised, as we all were, in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
Throughout the Gospels, Jesus had a great deal to say about the Spirit, which is the Father’s gift to his people. And our readings today celebrate the coming of the Spirit, the arrival of that extraordinary promise, and gift. The Holy Spirit will empower the disciples to take the Good News of what Jesus has been doing in Israel, out into the whole world, and still inspires and fires the Church today in its continung mission and witness to the world God loves so much.
This coming week I will be attending the Annual Clergy Conference, and I would like to thank our Associate Clergy, the Wardens, our Pastoral Team, and all others who will be so ably supporting the Parish over these days. I look forward to being back to celebrate Trinity Sunday with you all.
The peace of Christ be with you this week.
Fr Ben Randall
- As announced after Mass last Sunday, Alice Bates will leave her position as Parish Administrator on 6 June so as to be able to devote more time to her university studies. An advertisement for her replacement will appear in The Harvest is Plentiful… and other on-line sites next week. Shaun Graveston has resigned from his position as a Youth Minister and volunteers are currently assisting Alice until a new appointment is made.
- Vicarage Building Fund: soup and home baking provided by the Women’s Fellowship are available today in the hall after Mass. Please give generously.
- Stations of the Resurrection: today in the church from 3:00–4:00 pm for Communion at 3. A space of reflective, individual prayer; people may come in
as they like during this time.
- Bible Study Group meets tomorrow, 7:15 pm in the parish lounge. Details Peter Oakley (960 0974).
- Vestry meets on Tuesday, beginning with Mass at 7:00 pm.
- Meditation Group meets in the Lady Chapel on Wednesdays at 12 noon. Details Margaret Maclagan (359 9215).
- Anglican Missions: Michael Hartfield will speak 9 June, 10:00 am at S. Silas Church.
- Book Swap: in the parish lounge. Koha to parish.
- Inasmuch basket: please continue to support the City Mission with your gifts.