I have just spent the last few hours catching up on the emails which accumulated while I was away last week. It’s amazing how quickly they mount up and how much longer they take to respond to than an actual conversation!
This leads neatly on to a resolution that was made at Synod in 2016 that parishes have Respectful Conversations on Same-Gender Relationships and Being Church in the Diocese of Christchurch with our neighbours, in particular on the blessing of same-sex relationships. To get a diversity of views we have been asked by the Diocese to meet with the Parish of South Christchurch on 19 June, at S. Nicholas Spreydon, at a time yet to be decided. The desired outcome of such evenings is that we listen and seek to understand one another, respect that we may differ and recognise that where we
stand can be difficult for other members of the Church. The evening is structured, and facilitators will assist. The Bishop’s intention is that people will listen and speak honestly and in depth in the Spirit of God. Participants will consider their own experience/understanding of people in same-gender relationships, their Christian faith/beliefs and their understanding of being Church. There is no intention to change your or another person’s mind. Next week there will be more information on a separate sheet, with RSVP details. Please consider being part of these conversations.
A prayer by Columbanus (c.550-615) to end:
Grant me, O Lord, the lamp of love which never grows dim, that it may shine
in me and warm my heart, and give light to others through my love for them,
and by its brightness we may have a vision of the Holy City where the true and
inextinguishable light shines, Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
The Reverend Anne Price
- Lunch at the Regatta on Avon today at 12:15 pm.
- Bible Study Group meets tomorrow at 7:15 pm in the school staffroom. Details Peter Oakley (960 0974).
- Climate Action Group meets Tuesday 1:30 pm in the parish lounge.
- Needlework Group: Tuesday 7:15 pm in the lounge. Details Ros Calvert (322 6078).
- Meditation Group: Wednesdays 12:00–12:30 pm in the Pilgrims’ Chapel. Details Kathryn Starky (385 0197).
- S. Luke’s Spirituality Centre—Desert Mothers: Stripping down to truth and bone. Presenter Megan Herles-Mooar, Thursday 6:00 pm at the Knox Centre, $10.
- Saturday Breakfast: 10 June 9:45 pm in the parish lounge. Details Ros Calvert.
- Prayer Stations: 17 June, interactive prayer stations around the church. The S. Michael’s Youth Group are preparing these around the theme of refugees at the time of the 40-hour famine. Parishioners are welcome to explore and participate.
- Fundraiser: jars of marmalade are available in the parish lounge.
- Book Swap: on bookshelves in the lounge. Koha to parish.
- Inasmuch basket: please continue to support the City Mission with your gifts of groceries and other household items.