I have been so looking forward to today. One community gathered; singing, worshipping and praying together. It is the day when we remember the ideals of the Founders’ of this school 166 years ago. We give thanks for the vision of a parish, the skills and passion of teachers throughout the generations. So many children have been nurtured, prepared for the future in the shadows of this church, under the prayers of the faithful. How many young eyes have gazed and fallen captivated by its stained glass windows, banners or plaques? There is such joy in the continuity of hearing the voices of young children threaded through a congregation especially when they come through the doors for a school mass.
Amongst the excitement of the day is the Dedication and Blessing of the Bosendofer piano.
This extraordinary gift from Derek and Keryn Ward. Derek and Keryn were parishioners at St Michael’s from 2007 until 2012 and really enjoyed the fellowship and friendship of the parish and particularly the choir. They loved singing with Paul Ellis and the choir during this time. They have remained in in touch with Paul and Jane Ellis and a number of other loyal singers and dear friends. The piano was lovingly donated by Leonie, Derek’s mother. She knew that the parish of St. Michael’s has a strong musical tradition and was pleased that her beloved instrument would continue to be used to the glory of God.
The ivory keys of this beautiful instrument have also felt the touch of many students, let us pray that it’s presence may be the key to many others developing a love and passion for music.
This place is a place of constant love, enveloping faith and joyful hope.
O Lord Jesus Christ,
who didst take into thine arms the children brought to thee for blessing:
Bless always and in all places the children of thy Church,
and thy Church in telling them of thee,
that they may grow into thy likeness,
keeping innocent, obedient to thy will and happy in thy house;
for thy tender mercy’s sake.
The Reverend Anne Price
- Bible Study Group meets tomorrow, 7:15 pm in the school staffroom. Details Peter Oakley (960 0974).
- Climate Action Group meets Tuesday, 1:30 pm in the parish lounge.
- Needlework Group meets this Tuesday, 7:00 pm at Jill Woodside’s home. Details Jill (338 9590). New members welcome.
- Meditation Group: Wednesdays 12:00–12:30 pm in the Pilgrims’ Chapel. Details Kathryn Starky (385 0197).
- Canterbury Shakespeare Society meets Thursday, 7:30 pm in the parish lounge.
- S. Michael’s School is on holiday from Friday until 24 July.
- Saturday Breakfast: 8 July 9:45 am in the lounge. Details Ros Calvert (322 6078).
- Communion at Three: next Sunday. All welcome.
- Refugees Welcome: talk by Murdoch Stephens on refugees and community involvement, and the implications on how we vote in the next general election.
- 17 July 6:00 pm at the WEA, see www.doingourbit.co.nz for details.
- Theology House: for details of new courses phone 341 3399.
- Fundraiser: jars of marmalade are available in the parish lounge.
- Book Swap: on bookshelves in the lounge. Koha to parish.
- Inasmuch basket: please continue to support the City Mission with your gifts of groceries and other household items
- Consultation Process for the next Vicar of S. Michael’s with Archdeacon Lynnette Lightfoot next Sunday following the 10:00 am Mass. Light lunch will be provided.