Over the past few days I have actually managed to catch a glimpse of the news. The contents have really surprised me. It has been full of mixed messages. I know that this is not unusual, but when you put some of the issues side by side, it just strikes me as odd. Much is, not surprisingly, devoted to politics and the up-coming election, but much also to the success of our sportsmen and women.
We have our athletes who train so hard for every win; every throw thrown has had many months of training behind it. Those who battle for every step on the way to success. Then you come to a President who has decided that it is in his best interest and that of a nation that he should set up his own news channel. How far apart could these poles be? People in this era actually have to sift through so much news media and social media etc to work out what is real, what demands attention and what should be discarded.
There are so many lenses which we can use, but as Christians there is only one lense. That of Christ.
The following prayer was written by Vittoria Colonna (1497–1547). She came from a famous Roman family and was distinguished not only for her writings but also for her friendship with the sculptor Michelangelo.
Most tender Father, may your living fire purify us and your most
clear light illuminate us, and by means of your love, without let or
hindrance of mortal things, may we return to you in happiness and
safety; through Jesus Christ, your Son, our Lord. Amen.
The Reverend Anne Price
- Advance Care Planning Meeting: Monday 11:00 am in the parish lounge. Speaker from Christchurch Hospital, details on leaflets at back of the church. Morning tea will be provided directly after the 10:00 am Mass. All parishioners welcome. Inquiries Pat Evans (358 0127).
- Meditation Group: Wednesdays 12:00–12:30 pm in the Pilgrims’ Chapel.
- Details Margaret Maclagan (359 9215).
- Communion at Three: next Sunday. All welcome.
- Bible Study Group meets next on 21 August, 7:15 pm in the school staffroom. Details Peter Oakley (960 0974).
- Anglican Advocacy: Two pre-election open meetings with representatives of political parties answering questions on their policies.
-Criminal justice 23 August 7:00–8:30 pm in Room 108, Law Building, UC.
-The health funding crisis 24 August 7:30 pm at the Cathedral.
Check anglicanadvocacy.org.nz for further details.
- Anglican Living AGM: 30 August 4:30 pm in the Community Room at the City Mission. Speaker Matt Mark. Details Jacqui email@example.com or 943 0892.
- Liturgy, spirituality, and worship: the ecumenical website run by Bosco Peters
contains valuable resources and reflections.
- Needlework Group meets monthly. Details Ros Calvert (322 6078).
- Fundraiser: jars of marmalade and lemon curd are available in the parish lounge.
- Book Swap: on bookshelves in the lounge. Koha to parish.
- Recycling Electronic Equipment: please put unwanted phones etc in the box at the back of the church or take to the parish office. Details Jenny Daniels (347 7629).
- Inasmuch basket: please continue to support the City Mission with your gifts of groceries and other household items.