My dear Friends,
The Feast of Dedication provides the opportunity for us to commemorate and celebrate the dedication or consecration of our place of worship. It has turned my mind to the dedication of the churches in the parishes where I grew up in the north of England. S. Columba’s (Warcop) where I was baptised, S. Michael and All Angels (Beetham), S. Peter’s (Sawrey), and S. Michael and All Angels (Hawkshead). After
my ordination, the parish church of my first curacy was also S. Michael’s (Workington). So, at a glance, S. Michael and All Angels wins hands down!
At Beetham, S. Michael and All Angels is a fine example of fifteenth century Perpendicular architecture, but within the building there are still parts of the ancient Saxon church that originally stood on the site. It is thought that this earlier church was dedicated to S. Lioba (Leoba or Leofgyth), whose Feast Day fell on 28 September—just one day before Michaelmas. She lived in the eighth century and played a notable part in S. Boniface’s mission in Germany. A great feature of his ministry was the inclusion of women in his work. Lioba once had a dream in which she felt she was being given direction for her life. It brought a clear realisation that if she set a good example, her life would be of benefit to others. Also, that she should always ensure her actions were in line with the words she spoke. Two great goals that sound simple but prove demanding!
On this Feast of Dedication, these seem useful ways in which we too might wish to dedicate our lives. They will make today’s Festival personal for us, and remind us that beautiful buildings are of no value unless we who worship within them do our utmost to live out our faith.
May we be encouragers of each other along the way.
Canon Craufurd Murray
- Serving at Low Mass Sundays 8:00 am: please speak to Stephen Woodside (338 9590) or the Wardens if you can help.
- S. Michael’s School is on holiday until 16 October.
- Lunch at the Regatta on Avon: today at noon. Details Alice.
- Communion at Three: today. All welcome.
- Parish Trust meets 5:30 pm Monday in the parish lounge.
- Bible Study Group meets tomorrow, 7:15 pm in the school staffroom. Details Peter Oakley (960 0974).
- Climate Action Group meets in the parish lounge Tuesday at 1:30 pm.
- Needlework Group: Tuesday, 7:00 pm in the parish lounge. All welcome. Details Ros Calvert (322 6078).
- Meditation Group: Wednesdays 12:00–12:30 pm in the Pilgrims’ Chapel. Details Margaret Maclagan (359 9215).
- CWS Supporters’ Council: Friday 6:00 pm Christchurch North Methodist Church.
- City Mission Fundraising Lunch: next Sunday 12:30 pm in Christ’s College Hall. Chef Phillip Kraal, hosts Jeremy Elwood and Michelle A’Court. See poster.
- Youth Group trip to Sheffield: 13 October, leaving S. Michael’s at 4:00 pm.
- Fundraiser: jars of marmalade and lemon curd are available in the parish lounge.
- Book Swap: on bookshelves in the lounge. Koha to parish.
- Recycling Electronic Equipment: please put unwanted phones etc in the box at the back of the church or take to the parish office. Details Jenny Daniels (347 7629).
- Inasmuch basket: please continue to support the City Mission with your gift of groceries and other household items.