Bell and Belfry

church-bell-tower

Erected in 1861, the belfry was designed by Canterbury’s leading Victorian architect, Benjamin Mountfort. He also designed the provincial chambers and some of the windows in St Michael’s. The bell it houses was brought out with the first four ships in 1850, and was rung every hour of daylight to indicate time to the early settlers. It is still used to ring the Angelus and to call the faithful to worship everyday.