Although we all continue to grieve deeply for our beloved Fr Andrew, we have, of necessity, had to begin planning for the ongoing well-being of S. Michael’s. Therefore, aware that, in the immediate future, our parishioners need to be led who someone who knows and loves them,
Bishop Victoria has appointed Revd Anne Price as interim Priest-in-charge. As amply demonstrated at Fr Andrew’s Requiem last week, Revd Anne has the compassion, sensitivity and understanding of
the S. Michael’s way to lead the parish at this time. She will continue in her role at the Cathedral Grammar School but with significantly increased time at S. Michael’s.
The Bishop is currently overseas but in early May she will meet with the Wardens to ensure that, as Revd Anne’s position is part-time, she has the extra clergy support that will be needed. In addition, of course, we will continue to be supported both pastorally and liturgically by Fr Craufurd and Fr Ron. In the midst of such sudden and enormous change we are blessed to have their ministries and that of Revd Anne. S. Michael and All Angels is in safe hands.
Having just celebrated the resurrection of Christ it is exciting that we are soon to witness the resurrection of our beloved Old Stone Building. With extensive earthquake proofing and the exterior stonemasonry completed, and the roof repairs nearing completion, we will see the scaffolding and
the walk-through containers disappearing in the next couple of weeks. Inside, the ceilings are in and walls nearly completed. Plastering has now started with painting and new carpeting to follow. Our contractors are working hard and are confident that the OSB will be handed back to the Parish in early June. It has been a long haul but shortly we will have much to celebrate.
- Reports for the AGM on 14 May: to the office by tomorrow, preferably by email.
- Deadline for Trumpet next week only: material is required by noon on Tuesday.
- From 1 April 2017 all sundry donations, e.g. for flowers or other parish appeals, will be recorded and included in parishioners’ annual giving receipts.
- Easter flowers: sincere thanks for the very generous donations this year. Receipts will be issued under the new arrangements, i.e. end of March 2018.
- Michael’s School: Term 2 begins tomorrow.
- Bible Study Group meets tomorrow 7:15 pm in the school staffroom. Details Peter Oakley (960 0974).
- Climate Action Group meets Tuesday 1:30 pm in the parish lounge.
- Needlework Group meets Tuesday 7:00 pm at Jill Woodside’s home. Details from Jill (338 9590).
- Meditation Group: Wednesdays 12:00–12:30 pm in the Pilgrims’ Chapel. Details Margaret Maclagan (359 9215).
- Canterbury Shakespeare Society meets Thursday 7:30 pm in the lounge.
- Angel pockets/ blankets: Jill Woodside is collecting completed wraps from now until the middle of May.
- Book Swap: Sundays in the hall and weekdays in the lounge. Koha to parish.
- Inasmuch basket: please continue to support the City Mission with your gifts of groceries and other household items.