This is an extraordinary community of love. On one of my rides back home, up one of those long straight roads that leads to home these words from our prayer book were rumbling around my head. (I originally typed in fumbling – I suppose there was a little of that too!)
God is love, God gives us life.
We love because God first loves us.
Love is such a powerful emotion. There is nothing gentle or subtle about it. Below is William Blake’s image of ‘The Three Maries at the Sepulchre’. Such love and such grief etched on the three women’s faces. William Blake (1757- 1827) was born in London, the son of an Irish stocking-maker. He had visions that he counted as the beginning of his spiritual life. He studied at the Royal Academy School. Arguably his greatest work of art is also his greatest contribution to our thinking about God: the wonderful series of illustrations to the Book of Job. Though perhaps now his most familiar work is his hymn “And did those feet in Ancient time”.
The Divine Image
To Mercy Pity Peace and Love
All pray in their distress:
And to these virtues of delight
Return their thankfulness
For Mercy Pity Peace and Love,
Is God our father dear:
And Mercy Pity Peace and love,
Is Man his child and care.
For Mercy has a human heart
Pity, a human face:
And Love, the human form divine,
And Peace, the human dress.
Then every man of every clime,
That prays in his distress,
Prays to the human form divine
Love Mercy Pity Peace
- New time for weekday Masses: from tomorrow these will be at 12:35 pm instead of 10:00 am (Saturday remains unchanged at 9:00 am). It is hoped that this time will be more convenient for parishioners and for those working in the central city.
- Special Parish Meeting: next Sunday at 11:45 am to discuss the planning and financing of the new vicarage on our site.
- Lunch at Regatta on Avon: today 12 noon. Details Alice.
- Te Waiora Annual Thanksgiving Service: today 2:30 pm at Te Waiora.
- Bible Study Group meets tomorrow, 7:15 pm in the school staffroom. Details Peter Oakley (960 0974).
- Climate Action Group meets Tuesday, 1:30 pm in the parish lounge.
- Needlework Group meets Tuesday, 7:15 pm in the parish lounge. Details Ros Calvert (322 6078).
- Parish Trust meets Wednesday at 5:15 pm.
- Shakespeare Society AGM: Thursday 7:30 pm in the parish lounge.
- Art Exhibition—Mark Lander: Friday 4:30 pm at S. Christopher’s.
- Saturday Breakfast: 11 November 9:45 am in the lounge. Details Ros Calvert.
- Communion at Three: next Sunday. All welcome.
- Fundraiser: jars of lemon curd are available in the parish lounge.
- Book Swap: on bookshelves in the lounge. Koha to parish.
- Recycling Electronic Equipment: please put unwanted phones etc in the box at the back of the church or take to the parish office. Details Jenny Daniels (347 7629).
- Current Mission Opportunities: details on the notice-board outside the office. There are also various pamphlets about alternative Christmas gifts, such as buying a goat for a family in need.
- Inasmuch basket: please continue to support the City Mission with your gifts of groceries and other household items.