Our Gospel reading this week has Jesus asking this question, not once but twice. ‘But who do you say that I am?” So I am going to ask that same question of you: Who do you say he is? Not just say when repeating the Creed, but say with your lives; that is, with your relationships, your bank account, your time, your energy, and all the rest. Who do you really say Jesus is?
Whatever it is that Jesus was and is…it’s really hard to put into words that we can understand. And so we come up with titles and formulations and all the rest, trying to get at the mystery of what God has done in and through Jesus, and that’s understandable. But all too often those words only keep the wild and unpredictable God of love and grace at arms distance from us, and Jesus remains inspiring, exemplary and safe.
The following prayer was written by Clement of Alexandria (c. 150-c. 215). Alexandria in Egypt had the greatest university and the greatest library of the ancient world. It was important that Christians should send their best minds to the Catechetical School there, to prove that Christians could out-think the pagan philosophers. Clement went there from Athens as a pupil and eventually became the principal, and was recognised as one of the greatest philosophers in the tradition of Plato.
A hymn to Christ the Saviour
Bridle of colts untamed, over our will presiding;
Wing of unwandering birds, our flight securely guiding,
Rudder of youth unbending,
Firm against adverse shock;
Shepherd, with wisdom tending
Lambs of the royal flock:
Thy simple children bring
In one, that they may sing
In solemn lays
Their hymns of praise
With guileless lips to Christ their King
From The Tutor, translator unknown
The Reverend Anne Price
- Climate Petition to the next NZ Parliament: copies are available for signing at the back of the church and in the parish lounge. Details Mary Hamilton (337 0833).
- Meditation Group: Wednesdays 12:00–12:30 pm in the Pilgrims’ Chapel. Details Margaret Maclagan (359 9215).
- Anglican Living AGM: Wednesday 4:30 pm in the Community Room at the City Mission. Speaker Matt Mark. Details Jacqui firstname.lastname@example.org or 943 0892.
- Pre-Synod briefing meeting: next Sunday at 11:45 am
- Lunch at the Regatta on Avon: next Sunday at 12:30 pm. Details from Alice.
- Communion at Three: next Sunday. All welcome.
- Bible Study Group meets next on 4 September, 7:15 pm in the school staffroom. Details Peter Oakley (960 0974).
- Climate Action Group meets 5 September, 1:30 pm in the parish lounge.
- Needlework Group: meets 5 September, 7:00 pm at Jill Woodside’s home. New members welcome. Details Jill (338 9590).
- Fundraiser: jars of marmalade and lemon curd are available in the parish lounge.
- Book Swap: on bookshelves in the lounge. Koha to parish.
- Recycling Electronic Equipment: please put unwanted phones etc in the box at the back of the church or take to the parish office. Details Jenny Daniels (347 7629).
- Inasmuch basket: please continue to support the City Mission with your gifts of groceries and other household items.